Bringing Your Lunch to Work Can Save You $1000

One of my rituals before getting ready for work is to always prepare my lunch. 90% of the time it is always the same thing. It usually consists of two sandwiches, a piece of fruit, and some cookies. The other 10% of the time I bring leftovers from dinner. It only takes me five minutes to make, and I save around $1000 a year!!!

Lets say that on average someone spends $20 dollars a week on food at work. This can include soft drinks, candy, coffee, and anything purchased before and during working hours. That $20 a week ends up adding to $1000 at the end of the year (for this example we are using a 50 week work year) If you are trying to cut your expenses down, this is a great way to start doing so. I know that it is hard for some people to bring their own lunch if they have a job that requires taking clients out to eat, and for networking purposes. But for the most part this is not the case.

We tend to always be on a rush during lunch hours at work. So naturally, we end up going to fast food places or eating from the snack machine. By bringing your own food, you will increase your savings and your overall health. Once I began to bring my own food from home I began to have more energy after lunch because I was eating fruits and other things that didn’t make me feel bloated and like a need it to take a nap

Just Imagine what you can do with that money instead. I use this money for my vacations. Every week, I automatically draft 20$ from my checking account to a savings account. Then, when I’m ready for my yearly trip, I have a minimum of $20 ready for me to enjoy. Better yet, invest the money and watch compound interest work it’s magic.

Advertisements

3 comments so far

  1. Finally Frugal on

    This is one of the things I started doing last fall, when I finally realized that I was living beyond my means (well, I knew it, I was just in denial).

    I make a casserole or lasagna on the weekends and just bring the leftovers until they’re finished—I’ve saved hundreds of dollars! And I’m eating better food. . . .

  2. YoungSaver on

    I didn’t see the difference it made on my finance until a month later. I looked over my monthly budget, and I saw about a hundred dollar surplus. It would be hard for me to ever go back to buying lunch at work.

  3. Rob O'Daniel on

    I agree that “brown-bagging” can be a significant savings but you do need to be mindful that, although you’ll see your “dining out” expenses fall, your grocery bill will rise a fair bit too. Certainly, the increased spending at the market won’t be nearly as much as you’d been spending on restaurants, but just something to be aware of so it doesn’t catch you off-guard.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: